Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: GreenTree Eastern Hotel, Shangri-La!
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: GreenTree Eastern Hotel, Shangri-La! – Or Is It? A Shaky Start…and a Surprisingly Sweet Finish.
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea (or maybe the green tea, given the name) on the GreenTree Eastern Hotel in Shangri-La. "Unbelievable Luxury Awaits," the brochures boasted. My expectations? Sky-high. My reality? Let's just say it started with a little… hiccup.
First Impressions: "Accessibility? Sort Of…"
Okay, so accessibility. HUGE factor for me. Thankfully, the website mentioned "Facilities for disabled guests," which is good. But that initial accessibility? A little clunky. I'm not going to go into specifics, but let's just say navigating the initial approach wasn't exactly a cakewalk. It was a bit…awkward. Not a dealbreaker, though, just a heads-up. The elevator did work, thank goodness.
Inside the (Eventually) Cozy Nest - The Room: A Tale of Two Halves.
My room? Decent. Spacious, with a glorious window. The "Unbelievable Luxury" wasn't immediately apparent, but the room was clean, had a good air conditioner (bliss!), and came equipped with all the essentials (and a few extra perks like free bottled water - YES!). The Wi-Fi was, thankfully, free and reasonably speedy. I needed that—I needed my digital connection!
The bathroom? Separate shower/bathtub, check. Basic but entirely functional. I will say, and this is a huge win: Blackout curtains? Absolutely! Sleep is precious, and these things made it pitch black in the mornings. Absolute gold star.
Important note: Did I mention Wi-Fi [free]? Yes! I did! Because it really is important!
Rambling Thoughts on…Everything Else:
Okay, here's where things get…a little less organized, as I usually am. The amenities… whew. The brochure went on and on.
Internet? Yes, thankfully, they had lots of that! Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (repeating this because it's essential these days). There's also Internet [LAN] available, which is good for those who prefer that for safety, and of course, Internet services themselves!
Laundry service and dry cleaning? Check and check. Useful, but hardly groundbreaking.
Business facilities? Yes, for those who need to, you can make this place a hub where you can use the Xerox/fax in business center, and of course there are meetings and meeting/banquet facilities if you're here for work.
Dining, drinking, and snacking: This is where things got interesting.
- They had Restaurants!
- Breakfast, [buffet]? Yes, a spread. Not the most remarkable I've seen, but definitely adequate.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant? Yes!
- Room service [24-hour]? This may have saved me at 3 AM after a long flight (and a minor meltdown over the hotel's initial issues.)
- Poolside bar? There was a pool, but I never saw a bar. Bummer.
- Desserts in restaurant? Yes, and a small blessing…
- There was a snack bar - definitely needed.
Things to do, ways to relax?!?! And here's where I got really excited, and also a little…disappointed:
Fitness center? Yes, (but basic).
Spa? and the Sauna? Yes, but again, nothing particularly mind-blowing, and with the initial accessibility issues, I didn't want to attempt to reach all of them.
Swimming pool [outdoor]? Yes, it had a pool with a view!, which was actually quite pretty. I did take a dip. That was a high point.
Massage? Yes, with the usual disclaimers…
Steamroom? Yes.
Foot bath? Yes
Body scrub, Body wrap? Sadly, I didn't take these, so can't rate them.
Safety and Cleanliness - The Good News!
This is where GreenTree shone. And it's a huge comfort, especially post-pandemic.
- Anti-viral cleaning products? Yep.
- Daily disinfection in common areas? You betcha.
- Rooms sanitized between stays? Absolutely.
- Staff trained in safety protocol? Seemed like it.
- Hand sanitizer? Everywhere!
- Individually-wrapped food options? Yes, a small thing, but it matters.
- They went the extra mile on the Hygiene certification too!
Dining: A Bit of a Rollercoaster (But the Staff Were Sweet)
The food? Look, it wasn't Michelin-star level. The breakfast [buffet], as I've mentioned, was decent. I'd describe it as… safe. The Asian breakfast was interesting, and I did try the Asian cuisine in restaurant one night. Fine.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant was there, thankfully.
- They had a Vegetarian restaurant which is nice.
- Alternative meal arrangement were available, just in case.
There were a few hiccups with my orders, and the language barrier was at times hilarious (and maybe a little frustrating), but the staff were genuinely sweet and tried their absolute best. They really did. The Happy hour was a welcome touch!
Services and Conveniences: Mostly Thumbs Up!
- Concierge? Super helpful with a map.
- Air conditioning, Elevator – yes!
- Room service [24-hour]? Saved me a few times.
- Daily housekeeping? On point!
- Car park [on-site] and Car park [free of charge]? Massive win!
For the Kids (and the Inner Child in All of Us!):
- They had Babysitting service and Kids facilities.
- Family/child friendly? Seemed so, but I didn't see a ton of kids.
The Absolute Highlight: The Pool and the View!
Okay, I mentioned the pool. It was gorgeous. Truly. Floating in that water, overlooking the mountains? That was my "Unbelievable Luxury" moment. Pure bliss. I spent a whole afternoon just…doing nothing. And it was wonderful.
The Quirks & the Imperfections: The "Real" Stuff
Alright, let's be real. It wasn't perfect. The initial accessibility issues were a bummer. And the food, while decent, wasn't exactly a culinary explosion. But…
- They provide a Complimentary tea.
- The Room decorations were nice.
- The Seating Area was perfectly comfortable for a tired traveler.
- The Internet access – wireless was indeed, available.
- The Breakfast in room really was a pleasure!
Final Verdict: Is "Unbelievable Luxury" a Stretch? Maybe. But…
Look, if you're expecting a flawlessly polished five-star experience, you might be disappointed by GreenTree Eastern Hotel, Shangri-La. But if you're looking for a clean, comfortable, generally accessible (with some caveats), and reasonably priced hotel in a stunning location, with incredibly friendly staff and a fantastic pool… then yes. Book it. Just be prepared for a few minor hiccups and some truly memorable moments.
And the most amazing part? They offer all the below:
- Safe dining setup.
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items.
- Cashless payment service.
- Invoice provided.
- Hotel chain.
- Front desk [24-hour]
- Luggage storage.
- Safety deposit boxes.
Here’s the Deal (and Here's the Offer!)
Tired of the Ordinary? Craving an Escape?
Here's the Deal!
Book your stay at GreenTree Eastern Hotel, Shangri-La, and experience:
- Stunning Views (Guaranteed!) Relax by our outdoor pool and be spellbound by some of the most breathtaking panoramic views.
- Cleanliness and Safety You Can Trust. Rest easy knowing we prioritize your well-being with rigorous cleaning protocols and sanitation measures.
- Comfortable and Well-Equipped Rooms. Enjoy free Wi-Fi, air-conditioning, and other amenities for your complete comfort.
- Convenient Location. (Nearby attractions
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because you're about to get a front-row seat to my Shangri-La adventure at the GreenTree Eastern Hotel Yunnan Yangtang Road. Prepare for a whirlwind of yak butter tea, questionable decisions, and a whole lotta altitude sickness (maybe). This isn't your perfectly Instagram-filtered travel blog, friends. This is the real, messy, beautiful truth.
Day 1: Arrival - Altitude's a Bitch (and so am I, apparently)
Morning (Maybe? Time is a construct up here.): Touchdown in Diqing Shangri-La Airport. The air? Thin. The sun? BRIGHT. My brain? Already starting to feel a little fuzzy. We're talking pre-altitude sickness fuzziness. Good start, Grace.
- Anecdote: Stepped off the plane, and my nose started bleeding. Glamorous, I know. Apparently, the altitude doesn't care about your vanity. The airport staff, bless their hearts, were super helpful, even though I’m fairly certain they were secretly giggling at the spectacle I was making.
Late Morning/Early Afternoon (Who can tell?): Taxi to the GreenTree. Okay, let’s be honest, it’s… GreenTree. It’s a GreenTree. Cleanish. Functionalish. The staff are sweet, though – they’re all smiles. (Probably because they're used to tourists looking like they're about to spontaneously combust from the lack of oxygen.)
Afternoon (Sort of): Unpack. Lie down. Feel like death warmed over. My head feels like a drum solo. Seriously, I just want to sleep. But I promised myself I'd try to be a "cultured traveler." So… I… um… read a pamphlet about Tibetan culture?
Evening (Maybe It's Always Evening Here): Dinner. Found a local place down the road. Ordered yak butter tea. It tastes… like… salty, buttery, and slightly… musty. Okay, it's an experience. I take it back. It's not bad. It's… memorable. The momos were phenomenal! The best I've ever had, honestly. Still, my stomach churns; maybe I should lay off the tea.
- Quirky Observation/Emotional Reaction: The locals are all incredibly friendly. Smiling at everyone. It makes me feel so… un-smiley. I feel a bit like a grumpy, oxygen-deprived gargoyle. I vow to be a better human tomorrow.
- Minor Category - Hotel Review: The GreenTree is fine. Not exactly the Ritz. But the bed is comfy, which is all that matters right now. The bathroom is… well, it has a toilet and a shower. Efficient.
Day 2: The Monastery of My Misery (and Maybe Some Enlightenment)
Morning (After a Terrible Night's Sleep): Get up, or try too. Head pounding. Went to the famous Songzanlin Monastery. It’s gorgeous. Seriously, jaw-dropping. Golden. Huge. Spiritual. And also, ridiculously uphill.
- Anecdote: I swear, I thought I was going to pass out halfway up the first set of stairs. My legs were aching. I wheezed like a dying walrus. I saw a little old Tibetan woman practically skipping up the steps, and I wanted to cry (partly from altitude sickness, partly from pure, unadulterated envy). I mean, this woman was flying. And I was… not.
Late Morning/Early Afternoon (Stumbling Around the Monastery): Wander around the monastery. Take a million pictures (because, evidence!). See the monks chanting. Feel a vague sense of… something. Call it "appreciation." Maybe a touch of "awe." And definitely, a whole lot of "I need a nap."
- Messier Structure/Rambles: The gold leaf. Oh, the gold leaf. Stunning. And then there’s the air. Thin, biting, and filled with the scent of incense. It’s both invigorating and debilitating. It’s like the most beautiful, deadly perfume you could imagine. I tried to pick up some prayer beads, but the shopkeeper gave me a look like I was trying to steal the Dalai Lama's socks.
Afternoon (Mostly Lying Down): Back to the hotel. Lie down. Sleep. Dream of oxygen. My head still feels like a drum; I can’t explain how bad it is. I might need to see if they offer oxygen tanks at the hotel. I'm really starting to appreciate the simple things in life: like, you know, breathing. Maybe it's better if I sit still.
Evening (Another Yak Butter Tea Experiment): Tried yak butter tea again. This time, I mixed it with some of that Chinese green tea. It’s an improvement. I'm slowly being inducted into the culture. I had the momos again. Definitely worth a food coma and more.
- Stronger Emotional Reaction: I'm beginning to see why people come here. It's more than just pretty buildings and stunning views. There's a… stillness. A quietness. And something truly spiritual. Even if I'm too exhausted to experience it fully yet. I really should go out, but I have to admit, I'm also having a great deal of internal conflict between wanting to see everything and wanting to lie down and be still. And if I'm honest, "lie down and be still" is currently winning.
Day 3: Exploring More (Provided I Can Breathe)
Morning: (Maybe). Hopefully, a better night's sleep. Maybe.
Mid-morning: Planning a leisurely stroll in the area. I should see the old town, though I'm worried it's going to be the same experience as the monastery. But if I can get my breathing right, I think it will be okay!
Afternoon: Hopefully, some more scenic views and cultural immersion.
Evening: I'm still weighing up my options, but I'm starting to feel like I can breathe again, which is a massive win!
Opinionated Language/Natural Pacing: Look, I'm not going to lie. This trip is kicking my butt. The altitude is a monster. But even through the headaches and the breathlessness, there's something undeniably special about this place. It's raw. It's real. It's… well, it's Shangri-La. And even a grumpy, oxygen-deprived gargoyle like me can appreciate that.
Minor Category - Food Review Round Two: Momos: still amazing. Yak butter tea: becoming less terrifying. Everything else: TBD.
Emotional Reaction - The Final Day!: Feeling a lot better! Finally getting used to the altitude! Taking photos of the sunrise was a great experience, too!
Important Note: This itinerary is subject to change based on my physical and mental state. There will be naps. There will be whining. There will be moments of pure, unadulterated awe. And there will definitely be more yak butter tea. (Wish me luck.)
Parisian Paradise Found: Nouvel Hotel's Unforgettable LuxuryUnbelievable Luxury Awaits: GreenTree Eastern Hotel, Shangri-La! - Your Burning Questions Answered (Maybe)
Is this place *really* as good as the pictures? Because, honestly, those photos look... Photoshopped.
Okay, let's be real. The pictures? Yeah, they're probably touched up. Just like my dating profile (kidding… mostly). But, get this – the *vibe*? The *feel*? That's where GreenTree Eastern actually shines. It's not like, "Oh, this is *exactly* what I saw!" It's more… *better*. Imagine that feeling when you open a really cool package, and it turns out the thing inside is even *cooler* than you imagined. That’s kinda what happened.
Okay, okay, there's a bit of a gamble involved. You're hoping it's not all a front (like that suspiciously perfect Instagram influencer). But trust me, the hotel's got its charm. The lobby smells of money *and* a hint of something… subtly floral. And the views? Forget about it. One morning, I woke up to a sunrise that literally made me cry. I'm not a crier, mind you. But the Himalayas, glowing pink… *wow*. Still, my room service coffee was lukewarm that day. So yeah, ups and downs.
Okay, so what about the *actual* rooms? Are they cramp-city like some hotels?
Cramp-city? No way, José! My room was… well, it was practically a palace. I'm talking seriously spacious. I could have done cartwheels. (I didn't, because I'm too clumsy.) But the space was there! The bed? Cloud nine. Seriously. The kind of bed that swallows you whole and whispers sweet nothings about breakfast in bed. Which, by the way, is a must-try. Especially the pastries. Oh, the pastries…
There was one small issue, though. The air conditioning was, shall we say… *enthusiastic*. The first night, I woke up shivering like a chihuahua in a hailstorm. I had to call down to reception late, still half asleep and asking for extra blankets in my best broken Mandarin (which, I’ll admit, is pretty awful). The person at the front desk was super patient though, even when I accidentally started rambling about the weather. They totally saved my frosty hide.
The food! Tell me about the food! Is it authentic or just bland hotel fare?
Food! Now we’re talking! Okay, so, the buffet breakfast? Go in with an open mind. It's an *experience*. There are so many options, it’s almost overwhelming. You’ve got your Western staples, sure – the usual eggs, bacon, sad-looking sausages. But then you've got the local delicacies… and that's where things get really interesting (and potentially a little spicy!).
The noodles were heavenly. Seriously, I think I ate a plate every single morning. And the yak butter tea? A bit of an acquired taste, let's be honest. It's… earthy. And salty. But hey, when in Shangri-La, right? I did try it, and the smell, well I think I have a slight aversion still. Though, I did see some seasoned travelers who looked as though they were in ecstasy.
The hotel restaurant's dinner menus - were brilliant, but the authentic local food was a whole different ball game. Small, family-run restaurants outside the hotel were were the real taste of Shangri-La. Try the Momos, the potato and mushroom with chillies, the yak-meat. The flavors were incredible.
What's the deal with the staff? Are they helpful, or do they just tolerate you?
The staff? Generally, they’re amazing. Seriously. Always trying to help, anticipating your needs before you even know you have them. One time, I was hopelessly lost trying to find the spa (which, by the way, is a MUST-DO), and a guy just *appeared* out of nowhere and started guiding me. He spoke perfect English and was so patient, even when I was rambling about my fear of massages. (Yep, fear. Don’t judge.)
That said… there were a few hiccups. The language one still. I’m pretty awful with languages. Ordering room service? It was a comedy of errors. "Yes, more bread… and maybe… air?" I even accidentally ordered a whole roasted duck once. But hey, they were always laughing *with* me (mostly), and they really did try their best. They were always eager to help. Even when I was an absolute pain.
Is the hotel near *anything* interesting? Or am I stuck in a bubble of luxury?
Shangri-La itself is the interesting part! Okay, the hotel is, admittedly, a bit outside the main, bustling city center. But that’s actually a good thing. It's peaceful. You can get away from the crowds. The hotel offers shuttles. You *can* easily access the local sights. The old town is beautiful, the monasteries are awe-inspiring, the countryside is stunning...
However… be prepared for high altitude. I seriously underestimated it. I sprinted around the first day, feeling all energetic, then spent the night gasping for breath. Learn from my mistake. Take it easy. Drink loads of water. And maybe, just maybe, avoid that extra slice of yak butter pastry until you're acclimatized. You can thank me later.
Okay, I'm sold. But what's the *worst* thing about the GreenTree Eastern? Spill the tea!
Alright, alright, here’s the dirt. No place is perfect. The WiFi, sometimes, was a bit… temperamental. Like, it would decide it didn’t like me at precisely 8 PM every night. Which, when you're trying to video call your friends back home and show off the amazing views, is a huge bummer.
And… the gym. Let's just say it's… well, it's there. More for show than anything else. The equipment looked okay, but I wouldn’t trust it to hold up during a power workout. Honestly, I was terrified of breaking something, so I just stuck to walking around the hotel grounds. Which, actually, wasn't too bad. But the gym could be better.
Oh, and the check-out process? A little slow. They meticulously checked every single thing. Made me feel like I had to explain why I used three different bathrobes. Honestly, I’m a bathrobe person, and I loved every one. I just got cold!
Would you go back? Be honest!
ABSOLUTELY. Hiccups and all. Even with the slightly wonky gym and the occasional WiFi woes, I’d go back in a heartbeat. TheExplore Hotels