Milwaukee's BEST Hotel? This West Allis Gem Will SHOCK You!
Milwaukee's BEST Hotel? This West Allis Gem Will SHOCK You! (Hold My Beer…)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups. I'm about to spill the (hot, complimentary) tea on a West Allis hotel that, frankly, blew. my. mind. It calls itself Milwaukee's "BEST," and you know what? I walked in with the skeptical eyes of a seasoned travel grumbler, ready to unleash a torrent of TripAdvisor-esque cynicism. But… well, let's just say my expectations got utterly walloped.
(Disclaimer: I didn't get paid for this. I just really liked it.)
First Impressions (and the Elevator That Saved Me):
From the outside, it looks… promising. Clean lines, modern architecture, the promise of a good time. But the real test? ALWAYS the lobby. And this lobby? Gorgeous. Like, Instagrammable Gorgeous. I’m talking plush seating, tasteful artwork, and a front desk staff that actually smiled. Bless them. (And yes, it's wheelchair accessible - a crucial win right off the bat. Facilities for disabled guests are seriously on point, which is a HUGE relief for anyone who's dealt with the opposite.)
The elevator game? Spot on. Spacious, clean, and – crucially – fast. I’ve spent a LOT of time stuck in slow elevators, contemplating the meaning of life and the shortcomings of hotel design. Not here. Smooth sailing.
And speaking of smooth, the check-in/out [express] was a breeze. No endless forms, no dawdling. Just efficient, friendly service. Plus, the hotel offers contactless check-in/out – very 2024 and very appreciated. They even had someone at the door helping with bags – talk about doorman service!
Rooms: My Sanctuary (Mostly)
Okay, confession time: I'm a sucker for a good room. And this room? It had potential. The non-smoking room was a breath of fresh air (pun intended), spacious, and immaculately clean. The air conditioning was blessedly effective (important in a Milwaukee summer!), and the blackout curtains were a godsend for someone who values sleep more than human contact.
- Available in all rooms (the basics!)
- Air conditioning: Check.
- Alarm clock: Yep.
- Bathrobes: Cozy!
- Bathroom phone: Snort. Okay.
- Bathtub: A-plus.
- Blackout curtains: Life-saver.
- Carpeting: Clean and well-maintained.
- Closet: Plenty of space.
- Coffee/tea maker: Essential.
- Complimentary tea: NICE touch.
- Daily housekeeping: Efficient and discreet.
- Desk: Perfect for laptop work.
- Extra long bed: Hallelujah! I'm tall.
- Free bottled water: Hydration is key, people!
- Hair dryer: Essential.
- High floor: I requested it, and I got it!
- In-room safe box: Always a good idea.
- Internet access – LAN: Yep, although I used the Wi-Fi [free] mostly.
- Internet access – wireless: Solid connection.
- Ironing facilities: Thank goodness.
- Laptop workspace: Comfortable.
- Linens: Crisp and clean.
- Mini bar: Tempting.
- Non-smoking: Crucial.
- On-demand movies: A guilty pleasure.
- Private bathroom: Of course.
- Reading light: Perfect.
- Refrigerator: Useful.
- Safety/security feature: Excellent.
- Satellite/cable channels: The usual suspects.
- Scale: Sigh.
- Seating area: Comfy.
- Separate shower/bathtub: Luxury!
- Shower: Good water pressure.
- Slippers: Bonus points for comfort.
- Smoke detector: Peace of mind.
- Socket near the bed: A necessity in this hyper-connected world.
- Sofa: Cozy.
- Soundproofing: Seriously appreciated.
- Telephone: Old school, but functional.
- Toiletries: Nice quality.
- Towels: Fluffy.
- Umbrella: Milwaukee weather demands it.
- Visual alarm: Thoughtful inclusion.
- Wake-up service: Never used it, but good to know.
- Window that opens: Gasp Fresh air!
Internet Access & Staying Connected
Connectivity is paramount, right? Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! And guess what? It actually worked! No buffering, no dropped connections. The Internet [LAN] was also available, if you're into that. Internet services were well-managed. This hotel truly understands the modern traveler's need for constant connectivity and provides solid Wi-Fi in public areas too. Plus, the business center offers Xerox/fax services – handy if you’re on the clock.
Dining, Drinking, & Snacking – A Foodie’s Field Day (Mostly)
Alright, let's talk about food. Because, honestly, a hotel can make or break itself based on its culinary offerings. And this hotel… mostly nailed it.
- A la carte in restaurant: Yep.
- Alternative meal arrangement: They were accommodating.
- Asian breakfast: Didn't try it, but it's there!
- Asian cuisine in restaurant: Potentially.
- Bar: Yup.
- Breakfast [buffet]: Excellent.
- Breakfast service: Very good.
- Buffet in restaurant: A solid selection.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant: Always available.
- Coffee shop: There, but I didn’t visit.
- Desserts in restaurant: Amazing!
- Happy hour: Yes, and it was happy indeed!
- International cuisine in restaurant: Broadly covered.
- Poolside bar: Tempting, but I stayed inside.
- Restaurants: Multiple options.
- Room service [24-hour]: YES! Saved me one night.
- Salad in restaurant: Fresh and tasty.
- Snack bar: Good for late-night munchies.
- Soup in restaurant: Comfort food goals.
- Vegetarian restaurant: Option? I'm not sure, to be honest.
- Western breakfast: Standard fare.
- Western cuisine in restaurant: Yep.
The breakfast buffet was the stuff of legends. Seriously. I’m a sucker for a good breakfast, and this one had everything: fluffy pancakes, perfectly cooked bacon (a true test of a breakfast buffet!), fresh fruit, and a made-to-order omelet station. The coffee/tea in the restaurant was strong and plentiful. Score!
They have a main restaurant and a bar (with a banging happy hour), and the room service [24-hour] saved me one night when I was too lazy to leave my perfectly comfortable room.
I'm not going to lie, I would have loved to taste the Asian cuisine in restaurant, or at least tried a vegetarian restaurant option.
The Spa & Relaxation Zone: My Happy Place
Okay, this is where the hotel truly shines. Seriously. Prepare to be jealous.
- Body scrub: Yep.
- Body wrap: Uh-huh.
- Fitness center: Clean, well-equipped.
- Foot bath: Yes, please!
- Gym/fitness: Yep.
- Massage: Heaven.
- Pool with view: Gorgeous!
- Sauna: Relaxing as hell.
- Spa: Dreamy.
- Spa/sauna: Definitely.
- Steamroom: Relaxing.
- Swimming pool: Indoor AND outdoor!
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Beautiful.
The spa/sauna was my personal highlight. I spent a solid few hours alternating between the sauna, the steamroom, and the swimming pool [indoor] and swimming pool [outdoor]. The massage was the best I've had in ages – and I'm a massage snob, so that's saying something. The pool with view from the outdoor swimming pool added an extra layer of relaxation. The overall vibe was pure bliss.
Cleanliness & Safety: Feeling Protected (and a Little Spoiled)
In these uncertain times, safety is paramount. This hotel gets it.
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Check.
- **Daily disinfection
Alright, buckle up buttercups, 'cause this ain't your grandma's itinerary. This is the real deal, a messy, hilarious, and hopefully-not-disastrous peek into my Milwaukee adventure, all centered around the glorious (and hopefully clean) haven of the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Milwaukee - West Allis. Let's see if I can survive this… and more importantly, find decent coffee.
Day 1: Arrival, Awkwardness, and the Allure of American Cheese
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Arrival & Check-In (and the existential dread of the hotel lobby).
- Okay, first impressions. The lobby… well, it looks like a Holiday Inn Express. Clean enough, I hope. The receptionist, bless her heart, seems to have seen some things. She's got a perfectly polite smile, but I swear I can see the phantom of a paperwork-induced breakdown lurking behind her eyes.
- Anecdote: I almost tripped over my own suitcase. Majestic. I'm already off to a flying start.
- Emotional Reaction: Mild panic. Did I pack enough snacks? Did I remember my toothbrush? (Check. Whew.) Is this going to be one of those trips where I realize I left the one essential thing at home?
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Room Reconnaissance & Unpacking the Chaos.
- Okay, room check. It's… fine. Beds look comfy. The TV is probably older than me, but hey, it has channels. The bathroom better be clean. I'm a hotel snob, let's be honest.
- Imperfection: Found a stray hair in the sink. Not mine, thankfully. But still… a sign of things to come? The paranoia sets in.
- Quirky Observation: The hairdryer looks like it belongs in a museum.
- Stream of Consciousness: Should I unpack? Or live out of my suitcase like a traveling hobo? Decisions, decisions… I'm going with the suitcase. Saves time. Probably.
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Snack Attack & Local Exploration - the dreaded grocery store run.
- Gotta get provisions. I can't live purely on hotel coffee (which, let's be real, is probably the worst coffee in the world). Time for a grocery run. pray for me.
- Opinionated Language: I refuse to buy that gas station coffee. It tastes like sadness and regret.
- Rambling: The grocery store… so many choices. Aisles and aisles of stuff I don't need. Why are there fifty kinds of cereal? Why does everything have high fructose corn syrup? And most importantly, where the heck is the good cheese?
- Emotional Reaction: Minor despair as I realize how much I miss my own fridge.
- Doubling Down on the cheese experience: Found the cheese! and it, predictably, turns out to be an entire section devoted to CHEESE. This is a cheese town, people. And the American cheese? It's… well… it's American. A processed, strangely orange-colored delight. I bought some. For research purposes.
4:00 - 6:00 PM: West Allis Stroll & Pre-Dinner Prep:
- Gotta get outside before I turn into a potato. A quick walk around West Allis. I mean, what's there to see? I'll find out.
- Opinionated Language: West Allis, at first blush, feels like a very… practical town. Nothing shiny. Nothing flashy. Practical.
- Imperfection: Getting lost. Classic. Google Maps, you are my fickle lover.
- Stream of Consciousness: Should I actually put together the dinner? The "gourmet" peanut butter (the stuff I smuggled in from the grocery store) and the American cheese sound pretty good right now. Am I even hungry?
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Dinner Debacle & TV Binge (The Price of Freedom)
- Alright, dinner time. I have a plan that's pretty questionable. No cooking, but who knows what will happen.
- Anecdote: The "gourmet" peanut butter and American Cheese sandwich was surprisingly… good. Don't judge me.
- Emotional Reaction: Contentment. I'm alive! I ate something!
- Messiness: Now, for the TV. The remote… is a challenge.
- Stronger Emotional Reaction: Oh. My. God. The cable. I am overwhelmed by my options. Who cares about the Milwaukee Bucks? Who would watch that?
8:00 PM onwards: Sleep, Hope, and Dreaming of… More Cheese
- Sleep. Maybe. I am tired.
Day 2: Milwaukee Mayhem (and the lingering cheese aroma)
7:00 AM - 8:00 AM: The Breakfast Bar Battlefield
- The free breakfast! Armed and dangerous I go!
- Imperfection: The waffle maker… is not my friend.
- Anecdote: I managed to get some coffee but then someone beat me to the last of the eggs.
- Quirky Observation: Everyone here clearly knows the optimal pancake-to-syrup ratio. I'm still working on it.
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: Packing and the existential question.
- Should I go for another breakfast? Or should I pack?
- Emotional Reaction: Yes. I'm so hungry.
- Stream of Consciousness: Ok packing, wait.
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Exploration of the City
- I will figure out how to enjoy the day. This may be the best day ever! Wish me luck.
- Rambling: Let's see…
- Emotional Reaction: Anxiety.
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch
- Messiness: Hopefully something to eat this time.
- Anecdote: I will not talk about it.
1:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Exploring the city, again.
- Opinionated Language: I hate this. I love this. Maybe I should.
- Quirky Observation: Hmm.
- Stronger Emotional Reaction: I think I like Milwaukee.
4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Return to the HIE, and maybe a swim?
- The pool at the hotel. It is a thing.
- Imperfection: I would ruin it if I went.
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Dinner, again.
- Stream of Consciousness: I don't feel like eating.
- Messiness: But I must.
- Anecdote: I ran into the elevator guy again.
- Stronger Emotional Reaction: I am not going to eat at this hotel again.
8:00 PM onwards: Sleep, and prepare for the next day.
And so on. This is my life. This is my trip. Wish me luck. I'll need it. And maybe some more cheese.
Dubai's BEST Kept Secret? Arjaan by Rotana - Media City Luxury!Alright, alright, spill the tea. What IS this "BEST" hotel (in West Allis...?) and why is it so shocking?
What's actually GOOD about it? Give me specifics! (Besides the "vibe," which I’m still trying to parse.)
- The staff: Seriously, the staff. They’re like the smiling, genuinely-happy-to-see-you aunt and uncle you never knew you needed. They actually *care*. Last time, I was stressed out with a flat tire and the receptionist, bless her heart, practically rebuilt my tire iron from scratch with duct tape and sheer will (okay, maybe not, but she *did* call AAA AND offer me coffee… and that’s practically a miracle).
- The Breakfast. Oh, the BREAKFAST. I'm talking real food. Not those sad, pre-packaged bagels that taste like cardboard. Think fluffy scrambled eggs, bacon that actually CRUNCHES (essential!), and waffles so perfect they could be contestants on "The Great British Baking Show."
- The little details: Fresh flowers in the lobby, a handwritten welcome note in your room... the kind of touches that make you feel like you're actually *welcome*. And the beds! So fluffy, I swear I dreamt of clouds.