Grand Cityhall Medan: Indonesia's Hidden Luxury Gem!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the Grand Cityhall Medan: Indonesia's Hidden Luxury Gem! and honestly? I'm already a bit smitten. This isn't just a hotel review; it's an expedition. It's a deep dive. It's… well, let's just say I’ve spent more time reading through the hotel’s laundry list of amenities than I have on my own tax returns. And that, my friends, is saying something. Prepare for a review that’s as messy, honest, and hopefully, damn helpful as a real human can be.
First Impressions - The Arrival Ritual (and My Flailing Sense of Direction)
Okay, so finding the place wasn't as seamless as I’d hoped. Medan isn’t exactly known for its ultra-clear signage, and my inner cartographer apparently took a vacation. But hey, that's on me. Once I did find it, the Grand Cityhall’s facade hit me like a well-dressed slap. Classy, imposing, and hinting heavily at the opulence within. Accessibility is… well, it looks good. I didn't need any specific assistance myself but there’s an elevator, the lobby seems wide and open, and the website says its wheelchair accessible. We'll give it a qualified thumbs up based on that, because real-world confirmations… can be sketchy, you know?
Checking In - Slick as a Greased Otter (and a Slight Case of Imposter Syndrome)
The check-in? Dude, it was like a well-oiled machine. Contactless check-in/out, a godsend after the, shall we say, adventures of finding the place. They had a doorman who materialized like a genie from a luxury lamp, grabbing my bags and ushering me through the elegant lobby. Seriously, I felt a tad underdressed, surrounded by such polished perfection. The staff? Pure gold. Polite, helpful, and spoke English fluently (a huge plus, trust me). And, bonus points: they offered a cashless payment service, which made things so much easier.
The Room – My Fortress of Cozy (with a Few Minor Gripes)
Alright, the room. My inner critic almost found something to nitpick. Almost. The air conditioning was whisper-quiet, thank goodness. The bed? Cloud-like heaven, decked out with crisp linens. My room had an additional toilet. The blackout curtains were a lifesaver. There's also a high floor, and that view? Chef's kiss. I think I could almost hear the other hotel guests' whispers, but it's mostly quiet.
The bathroom? Oh, the bathroom! Complete with a bathtub, separate shower/bathtub, bathrobes, and all the fluffy towels a girl could dream of. Complimentary tea and coffee were much appreciated along with the free bottled water. I was very tempted by the mini-bar, even with my very good intentions to save money.
Minor annoyances? The internet access – LAN, well, that's a throwback. Who uses LAN anymore? Thankfully, the Wi-Fi [free] was fast and reliable, thank goodness. And, seriously, the satellite/cable channels? Hundreds. I spent way too much time scrolling through them. They even have additional toilet, which is a lifesaver.
Internet, Services, and Stuff – The Backstage Pass to Luxury
Let's get the nitty-gritty out of the way. The Grand Cityhall Medan is loaded with Internet services. You've got your basic Internet access, but, as mentioned, the Internet [LAN] feels a little old school. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms is a must, and they deliver. Especially nice to know there's Wi-Fi in public areas. The main things that matters are the hotel’s services and conveniences .This place is a well-oiled machine of pampering. Daily housekeeping kept everything spotless. The laundry service was a lifesaver (thank you, stubborn stain!). I didn’t have to use the dry cleaning service, but it would have been nice to have. The concierge was a wealth of knowledge, and the luggage storage was a breeze. The cash withdrawal was available. I saw the elevator and I know the building is a safe place to be in!
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – A Culinary Adventure (with a few bumps)
Okay, food. This is where things get… interesting. And by interesting, I mean utterly delicious. Seriously, I was blown away by the sheer variety. There's the main restaurant, which serves an Asian breakfast and all sorts of Asian cuisine in restaurant, including coffee/tea in restaurant. The Breakfast [buffet] was a sprawling feast of delights, but I also enjoyed the Breakfast [buffet]. I opted for the A la carte in restaurant, and ordered a salad in restaurant. I even sampled the soup in restaurant one night. Definitely try the desserts in restaurant! They also offer a Western breakfast and Western cuisine in restaurant. There’s a Coffee shop and a snack bar. and, of course, a bar.
Now, a slight hiccup. I tried getting a room service [24-hour] at 3 am, and it was a bit of a wait. It was worth it.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax – Spa Days and Poolside Bliss (Oh, the Bliss!)
The spa. Okay, here we go. I splurged. I did a Body scrub. I did a Body wrap. I did a massage. I contemplated, and I mean seriously contemplated, getting a full-body tattoo that simply said, "I Love This Spa." The Spa/Sauna was incredible, as well as the sauna. I got a Foot bath. The steamroom was pure bliss. The swimming pool [outdoor] with the Pool with view was breathtaking. I did not get to use the gym/fitness nor the fitness center.
Cleanliness and Safety – Feeling Safe and Sound (and a Little Obsessive)
In this day and age, cleanliness is paramount, and the Grand Cityhall Medan delivers. They've got Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Rooms sanitized between stays, and Professional-grade sanitizing services. They even use a Sterilizing equipment. The staff is Staff trained in safety protocol. Plus, the safe dining setup put my mind at ease. I was relieved to see the Hand sanitizer and First aid kit visible in many places. They also have Non-smoking rooms.
For the Kids – Family-Friendly Fun (Maybe?)
I didn't bring any kids, so I can't personally vouch for the Babysitting service or the Kids facilities, but the website claims they’re Family/child friendly, and there’s a Kids meal. Do your research, parents!
Getting Around – Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (Well, Mainly Cars)
They offer Airport transfers (a huge plus!). The Car park [free of charge] is a welcome convenience. Valet parking is available if you feel posh. And hey, there are even Car power charging station if needed. I did take a Taxi service.
My Overall Verdict (Spoiler Alert: I'm Sold!)
Look, I could go on and on. But the bottom line? Grand Cityhall Medan is a hidden gem. It's a place where you can truly escape, unwind, and indulge. It’s not perfect, and it has its quirks, but that’s what makes it real. And heck, I got to experience a fantastic time.
Here's My Offer to You – Book Now!
Tired of the Same Old, Same Old? Crave an Escape?
Then stop scrolling and grab a room at the Grand Cityhall Medan! But here's the catch: Book your stay this week and receive a complimentary spa treatment (your choice!) AND a free upgrade to a suite with a balcony! That balcony, my friends, is where you'll sip your coffee, watch the sunrise, and realize you've stumbled upon paradise. And if that isn't enough:
- Free Wi-Fi (because, duh)
- Complimentary Airport transfer.
- 24-hour room service.
- Mouthwatering dining options.
Stop reading and book it!
**Hotel Molière France: Unforgettable Parisian Charm Awaits**Okay, buckle up buttercup. This isn't your glossy travel brochure. This is my planned descent into the gorgeous, chaotic mess that is Medan, Indonesia. Specifically, the Grand Cityhall Hotel. Let's see if this whole "itinerary" thing actually holds up… because you know me, I'm more likely to end up bargaining for a durian at 3 AM than sticking to a schedule.
Grand Cityhall Hotel Medan: Operation "Survive & Thrive (Maybe)" - My Itinerary
PRE-TRIP WHIMPERING (because let's be real, I stress-pack):
- Weeks Before: Okay, first things first, booking the flights. That went about as smoothly as you'd expect – me, hyperventilating about baggage allowances, the website conveniently crashing at the payment stage, and a sudden, irrational fear of being stranded in Kuala Lumpur. Got it sorted… eventually. I’ve also spent at least three hours watching YouTube videos of Medan adventures. My brain is now 80% "durian smell" and 20% "gorgeous mosques".
- Days Before: The packing. OH. THE. PACKING. I over-packed, naturally. Ten pairs of shoes? Absolutely essential. Three emergency rain ponchos (in case of the apocalypse? Maybe). A phrasebook with a very enthusiastic "Selamat Pagi!" on the cover. Oh, and I almost forgot my passport! Nearly had a full-blown meltdown. But hey, at least I think I have all the adaptors. Fingers crossed!
DAY 1: Arrival, Disorientation, and the Glorious Smell of… Something
- Morning (ish): Touchdown in Medan! After a slightly terrifying landing (turbulence, the pilot apologized… it all added to the drama), I actually made it. Immigration was a breeze, surprisingly. Got my visa stamped, feeling like a proper globetrotter. Now, the real adventure begins: finding that hotel transfer. I’m pretty sure I looked like a lost puppy, clutching my phone, until a cheerful guy with a name tag whisked me away.
- Afternoon: Finally, the Grand Cityhall Hotel! First impression? Clean. Beautiful. The lobby chandelier? Staggering. I almost choked on my own awe. Checked in and unpacked (or, more accurately, dumped my belongings). The room is lovely, with a view that I’m pretty sure includes glimpses of the local life.
- Evening: The First Feast!
- Food Adventure: Okay, so, after a quick shower (needed!), I dove headfirst into the local cuisine. The hotel restaurant it is! This is where my 'do-not-order-anything-too-spicy-on-the-first-day' rule went straight out the window. I think it was some form of Nasi Goreng (fried rice) but, honestly, it was a spicy, savory, and heaven. The service was impeccable. Their sweet tea was the perfect, refreshing balance to the fire inside.
- Emotional Rollercoaster: I was completely overwhelmed. The sheer variety of textures, the explosion of flavors… it was a symphony of deliciousness and, let’s be real, a little bit of panic. Is my stomach going to revolt? Am I going to start sweating uncontrollably? Will I accidentally offend someone? But, the food was so good, every bite made me forget my anxieties for a split second…it was pure joy.
- Quirky Observation: I’m pretty sure I saw the waiter discreetly wiping sweat from his brow as I devoured my meal. Probably because he was thinking, “This tourist is either going to love this or explode.” (Spoiler alert: I loved it.)
- Imperfection Alert: I spilled some of my tea. A lot of my tea.
- Night: Jet lag is starting to hit. I'm tempted to just collapse, but I promised myself I would try to stay awake. I think I'll just read a travel guide in bed and pass out slowly.
DAY 2: Exploring the City – The Good, The Bad, and the Surprisingly Delicious Coffee
- Morning: Okay, time to fight the jet lag and explore! The guide book (remember the one I was “reading” last night?) suggests a tour of the Maimun Palace. Sounds grand!
- Daytime:
- Maimun Palace: This place is stunning. The architecture! The history! The sheer audacity of the place. I was there, and it felt like a page out of history books. I got a few photos, of course.
- Shopping Spree: The markets. Oh. My. God. The sights! The smells! The noise! The sheer, glorious chaos of it all! I got lost, three times. I nearly got run over by a scooter. I bargained for a scarf. (Probably overpaid, but hey, I’d rather support the local economy.)
- Lunch: Found a tiny, hole-in-the-wall place. They served some local noodles and chicken. I don't know what their names are, but they were delicious. I think I pointed at a picture. Language barrier? Not a problem, and I loved it.
- Afternoon: Coffee break (needed!). Medan coffee is supposed to be legendary. Found a local café, and they served me one of the best drinks I have ever had. The coffee culture is amazing. They have the most intricate latte art I have ever seen. It was perfection.
- Evening: I'm completely knackered, but also exhilarated! Dinner at a recommended street food stall. Had some grilled fish. Again, delicious and spicy.
DAY 3: (The Durian Dilemma and a River of Regret)
- Morning: Okay, the day I've both eagerly anticipated and deeply dreaded: the Durian experience. Everyone has a story, right? I'm going to find a street vendor, take a deep breath, and… well, we'll see.
- Durian: I did it. I ate the durian. It smelled like something a cat left behind, and the texture was… unusual. The taste?… I am going to leave that to your imagination. It was intense. An experience. I won't say it's pleasant, but wow, there it is.
- Afternoon: A trip to the local rivers. I wanted to relax, but there were so many people and the water was pretty disgusting. I'm afraid I’m going to have to take a raincheck on this plan.
- Evening: Dinner in the hotel. Chicken and rice again. It's safe. I am safe.
DAY 4: Departure (and the lingering smell of adventure)
- Morning: A final breakfast at the hotel. Reflecting on my adventures.
- Emotional Reaction: I am sad to leave. Medan got under my skin so deep. I feel like I’m part of this city now.
- Quirky Observation: I somehow found a vendor and bargained for souvenirs. (I am pretty sure I got ripped off.)
- Afternoon: Head to the airport. Say goodbye to Medan.
- Evening: On the plane. I’m already planning my return.
Post-Trip Ramblings (likely to be filled with regrets, good food memory, and a burning desire to return):
I'm going to start a travel journal… and probably start learning some Bahasa Indonesia. I’ll also start training my stomach for level-10 spice. I'll try to be more adventurous next time. Medan, you magnificent, crazy place, I'll be back!
Livermore's Hidden Gem: Unbeatable Value & Comfort at Americas Best Value Inn!Grand Cityhall Medan: Your Burning Questions (and My Unvarnished Opinions)
Alright, let's be real. Grand Cityhall Medan? It’s... well, it’s a building. Seriously. But it’s *that* kind of building. Think: opulent, a little bit over-the-top, and with a serious "look at me, I have money" vibe. It's a luxury hotel, and it's meant to be the *crème de la crème* of Medan accommodations. Is it worth the hype? Oof. Okay, the short answer: it depends on your bank account and your expectations. If you're expecting flawless perfection? Maybe lower those expectations a *smidge*. But if you want a taste of luxury, a touch of Indonesian history, and a place to make your Instagram followers jealous? Yeah, it's pretty darn close.
The rooms... oh, the rooms. They range from "nice" to "did someone just give me a small palace?" Seriously. You've got your standard rooms (perfectly respectable, by the way), and then you've got suites that... well, let's just say you could get lost in them. Should you splurge? That’s the million-dollar question, isn't it? Honestly? If you can swing it, the suites are worth it *at least* for a night. I remember one time, I was *this close* to booking a suite… but then I looked at my credit card bill from last month. Ended up in a perfectly lovely, perfectly *not*-suite-y room. Still, a girl can dream, right?
Also, pro-tip: ask what the view is like. Some rooms face the (admittedly interesting, but potentially noisy) street. Others? Stunning cityscapes. Location, location, location! Or well – maybe just ask for a quiet room.
Okay, the food. This is where things get… interesting. There's a main restaurant, usually a buffet situation, and it's… good. Decent. Plenty of options. The breakfast buffet? Worth getting up for, especially for the fresh fruit and the *kopi susu* (Indonesian coffee with milk). But… and here's the thing… sometimes, the food can feel a little… *hotel-y*. Like, safe. Like it's trying not to offend *anyone*. I wanted some local flavour, ya know? I remember one time, I ordered the *nasi goreng*. It was *fine*. But a street-side *nasi goreng*? That's where the magic is. Don't get me wrong, the presentation is beautiful, and the service is top-notch. But it just felt like a missed opportunity for authentic Indonesian culinary glory. So, eat there... just don't expect it to be the highlight of your trip. (Unless you are a big fan of buffets, then have at it!)
This is a tricky one. The service at Grand Cityhall is… polished. Seriously, the staff is incredibly polite, attentive, and generally just lovely. They’re trying *hard* to make you feel like royalty. But, and here's the big 'but,' sometimes that level of attention can feel… a little suffocating? Or maybe I'm just not used to being waited on hand and foot. There's a fine line between attentive and... well, hovering. And sometimes, I felt like they were *hovering*. But honestly? It's a minor quibble. I'd rather have overly attentive staff than staff who completely ignore you! And they're always, *always* smiling, which is a win in my book.
Oh, darling, there are ALWAYS "hidden costs"! This is a luxury hotel, remember? They're not going to nickel-and-dime you to death, but be prepared for things like: expensive mini-bar (seriously, those little snacks cost a fortune!), laundry charges (always, ALWAYS expensive in hotels), and maybe a slightly higher than average airport transfer fee. Spa treatments and fancy dinners? Yeah, those costs add up *fast*. My advice? Plan your budget, and pad it a little. And don't touch the mini-bar unless you're prepared to weep when you see the bill. Also, check if breakfast is included. That buffet price can seriously hike your bill!
The vibe? It's... upscale. Think: a lot of polished marble, gleaming chandeliers, and people dressed to the nines. It's definitely geared towards a more sophisticated crowd – maybe a business traveler, or someone celebrating something special. Is it romantic? Potentially. If you and your significant other thrive on being surrounded by luxury, then absolutely. But if you're looking for something a little more… relaxed, a little more low-key, maybe not. I could see it being a great place to impress a client, or for a fancy anniversary. For a regular vacation? Depends on your definition of "regular". If you're fine with feeling like you're in a movie, go for it! I felt a bit underdressed, honestly, most of the time.
The location is… decent. It’s in the city center, which is convenient for some things. But Medan isn't exactly known for its walkability, especially in the heat. Taxis (or, better yet, Grab cars – those apps are a lifesaver!) are the way to go. Traffic can be a nightmare, so factor that into your plans. Getting to the airport? Allow PLENTY of time. Seriously. I almost missed my flight once because of traffic. I was practically hyperventilating! You're not exactly out in the sticks, but getting around requires a bit of planning.
Okay, honesty time. Here’s the not-so-glamorous side. The price. Let's not beat around the bush. It ain't cheap. The food, as I mentioned, can be a bit… sterile. Also, certain parts of the hotel felt a little *stuffy*. Like, I wanted to let my hair down and relax, but I was constantly worried about committing a faux pas. One time, I accidentally knocked over a tiny, ornate vase in the lobby. (It was my clumsy fault, I swear!) I was expecting a lecture! Luckily, the staff was super gracious, but the memory still makes me wince. Also, the city itself can be overwhelming. The traffic, the noise, the smells… It’s part of the charm, but it can be a lot to take in. You will be in the middle of it all when you are at the Grand Cityhall. It’s a trade-off. Luxury and calm versus local vibrancy.