Escape to Paradise: Hotel Villa Itsaso, Spain - Your Dream Vacation Awaits!
Okay, buckles up, buttercups, because we're heading straight to Escape to Paradise: Hotel Villa Itsaso, Spain! Forget those picture-perfect brochure lies. We're going REAL, raw, and ready to spill the sangria (metaphorically, of course…unless?). This ain’t your grandma’s travel review.
The Promise: Your Dream Vacation Awaits! (Let's see if it delivers, shall we?)
First Impressions (and the Anxiety That Always Comes With Them):
Okay, first of all, Spain. Beautiful, yes. But I'm the kind of person who sweats just THINKING about navigating a new airport. Thankfully, the rumors are true: they have airport transfer! Yay. (And there's valet parking AND car park [free of charge] – bless up for all the parking options, people!).
Accessibility: Reality Check Time
This is CRUCIAL. I’m walking, talking, generally able-bodied, but I understand the world isn't always a level playing field. The website says Facilities for disabled guests…but what specifically does that mean? Are we talking ramps, elevators? The devil's in the details! This is something I'd absolutely need to investigate before booking. If they can be clear about this, that’s a MAJOR point in their favor. (Side note: the elevator is definitely on the "yay" list). I want to believe, but I need PROOF.
The Room (And the Tiny, Beautiful Details):
Alright, let’s talk rooms. (Because, you know, where you LIVE for the duration of your vacation!). They've got non-smoking rooms (essential, for my fragile lungs!), and the promise of air conditioning (also essential, unless you enjoy melting). Looking at the list, they seem to have ticked all the usual comfort boxes: air conditioning, alarm clock, bathrobes, bathroom phone, bathtub, black-out curtains, carpeting, closet, coffee/tea maker, complimentary tea, daily housekeeping, desk, extra long bed, free bottled water, hair dryer, high floor, in-room safe box, internet access, ironing facilities, laptop workspace, linens, mini bar, mirror, non-smoking, on-demand movies, private bathroom, reading light, refrigerator, satellite/cable channels, scale, seating area, separate shower/bathtub, shower, slippers, smoke detector, socket near the bed, sofa, soundproofing, telephone, toiletries, towels, umbrella, wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], and window that opens. That's…a lot. It sounds like a VERY comfortable room.
Internet Access (Because We're All Addicted):
The biggie: Internet access! They shout about Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! and have Internet [LAN] and Internet services. Okay, good. Because, let's be honest, a vacation without Instagram stories is practically a crime these days.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food Glorious Food (and the Potential for Disaster!)
This is where things get interesting. I live for food, and vacation is basically a green light to eat ALL the things.
Restaurants: Plural? Good! They offer A la carte in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant (oooh, I like!), Buffet in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, and Western cuisine in restaurant. The options almost seem endless!
Breakfast: They have Breakfast [buffet], Asian breakfast, Breakfast, Breakfast takeaway service, Breakfast in room, and Western breakfast. That covers all bases.
Bars & Drinking: They have a Bar, Happy Hour, and Poolside bar. What's a vacation without a cheeky cocktail by the pool? Plus, the bottle of water in your room is a super important thing.
Room Service: The holy grail: Room service [24-hour]. Need I say more?
Other Food Goodness: Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, and a Snack bar.
Here's the REALITY check: I'm picturing myself, hungover after a "happy hour" escapade, ordering room service at 3 am and then devouring pastries. Sounds like paradise, tbh. However, is the menu actually good? That requires some digging.
How to Really Enjoy:
- Focus on the Pool with View: Okay, imagine this: you’re in Spain. You're probably already feeling a bit smug. Then you discover the Pool with view. That's not just swimming; that's a lifestyle. Add in a cocktail from the Poolside bar? I'm just saying…I’d start my vacation ritual.
Things To Do & Ways to Relax (The Pampering Factor):
Ah, the "relax" part. This is essential. Remember, you're on vacation. You need to unwind. The Villa Itsaso clearly gets this.
The Spa: They have a full-on Spa, Spa/sauna, Sauna, Steamroom…this is serious relaxation business. They also have a Gym/fitness if you're one of those people. No judgment here!
Massages & Stuff: Body scrub, Body wrap, Massage, and a Foot bath. Sigh. If you see me, I’ll be in a robe.
Swimming: And you can take that Spa experience into the water with the Swimming pool [outdoor]. (As well as the Swimming pool).
Cleanliness and Safety (Because We Live in a Certain Era):
Okay, let’s be real: cleanliness and safety are no longer optional. They’re a MUST. They have a LOT of boxes checked here:
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good!
- Cashless payment service: Convenient.
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Excellent.
- Doctor/nurse on call: Peace of mind.
- First aid kit: Smart.
- Hand sanitizer: Duh.
- Hot water linen and laundry washing: Essential.
- Hygiene certification: Reassuring.
- Individually-wrapped food options: Nice touch.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: Necessary.
- Professional-grade sanitizing services: Good.
- Room sanitization opt-out available: Choice is always good
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Crucial.
- Safe dining setup: Important.
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Necessary.
- Shared stationery removed: Less to worry about.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Great.
- Sterilizing equipment: Excellent.
Services and Conveniences (The Stuff You Didn’t Know You Needed):
This section can make or break the experience.
- Concierge: Crucial for booking restaurants, tours, ANYTHING.
- Daily housekeeping: Yay for clean towels!
- Dry cleaning and laundry service: Because sometimes, you spill red wine on your favorite dress.
- Elevator: See the Accessibility section.
- Facilities for disabled guests: I need to know.
- Luggage storage: Hallelujah!
- Safety deposit boxes: Always a good idea.
- Terrace: Lovely for relaxing, drinking coffee, and watching the world go by.
For the Kids (Because Family Vacations Are a Thing):
I don't have kids myself, but I appreciate a hotel that caters to families.
- Babysitting service: Helpful
- Family/child friendly: Nice.
- Kids facilities: What does that even mean? Need details!
- Kids meal: Important for picky eaters.
Getting Around (Navigating the Outside World):
- Airport transfer: Huge sigh of relief.
- Car park [free of charge]: Again, yay for parking.
- Taxi service: Useful.
Final Verdict (My Gut Reaction):
Okay, the Villa Itsaso sounds promising. Is it perfect? Probably not. BUT it has a LOT of things going for it. The location is a HUGE factor (Spain!), the pool situation sounds divine, and the room amenities seem top-notch. The dining options sound exciting. The safety protocols are reassuring.
What I REALLY need to know:
- The specific details of the Facilities for disabled guests.
- Actual guest reviews about the quality of food.
I might just book it. My dream is sunshine, cocktails, and NO responsibilities. And isn’t that precisely what a vacation is all about?
Now, for the Sales Pitch (because you're reading this to BOOK):
Tired of the Same Old Vacation? Escape to Paradise with Hotel Villa Itsaso!
Here's the DEAL:
- Unwind in Style: Luxurious rooms, stunning views, a pool that begs for a photo op, and a spa that will melt away all your stress.
- **Foodie Heaven Awaits
Hotel Villa Itsaso, Spain: My Messy, Wonderful, Slightly Disastrous Adventure
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your perfectly curated Instagram feed. This is me, in Spain, at Hotel Villa Itsaso, and let me tell you, it's been… an experience. I'm not even sure where to start, so let's just dive in.
(Day 1: Arrival & Jet Lagged Panic)
8:00 AM (ish): Finally! Lisbon airport. After a flight that felt longer than my last relationship (and probably more turbulent, tbh). Managed to navigate baggage claim without completely losing it. Pretty proud of that. Though, the rumbling in my stomach already had me eyeing the duty-free chocolate bars.
10:00 AM: The Drive! The transfer to Hotel Villa Itsaso was a beaut. Cliffs, tiny fishing villages clinging to the edge. The driver, a weathered old gentleman named Miguel, kept switching between Spanish radio and what I think were his own lungs. Quite a character. He also kept pointing out houses saying, "That one is beautiful. That one is… okay." Brutally honest, I loved it.
12:00 PM: Checked in. The hotel lobby is all polished marble and ridiculously polite staff. Makes me feel like I'm constantly on the verge of breaking something. Rooms are lovely though! Tiny balcony overlooking the ocean. My first thought: "Can I dramatically lean over that and pretend to be in a romance novel?" Second thought: "Nah, I'll probably just drop my phone."
2:00 PM: Jet lag kicked in HARD. Suddenly, every shadow was a monstrous creature and the walls of my room were closing in. Managed to eat a suspiciously delicious ham and cheese sandwich in the hotel restaurant, but it was all a blur. Went to bed at what felt like 3 am and woke up again at dawn, convinced the world had ended. Still haven't adjusted to the time difference.
4:00 PM: I was hoping the pool would snap me out of it, but I can't seem to relax as much as I thought. The air is very humid from all the water, and I'm afraid of passing out or doing all the wrong things.
(Day 2: Food, Glorious Food… And a Near-Disaster)
9:00 AM: Breakfast. The buffet is… legendary. Seriously, I've eaten enough pastries to fuel a small planet. The coffee, however, is disappointingly weak. Still, I'm not complaining.
10:00 AM: Strolled into the nearby town (Zarautz). Charming is the word, but those cobblestone streets are NOT built for my awkward feet. Almost tripped and face-planted in public. Mortifying. Luckily, a local woman with a smile as bright as the Spanish sun caught me. She had a wonderful laugh and didn't speak any English, but she saw my embarrassment from a mile away. I think she made it clear that I was fine, and I appreciated it.
1:00 PM: Lunch. Found a tiny tapas bar. Ordered everything. Seriously, everything. Chorizo, gambas al ajillo (garlic shrimp), patatas bravas (spicy potatoes) … the works. My favorite part? The random, boisterous laughter that seems to be constantly echoing through the streets when you go out.
3:00 PM: BEACH TIME! The beach is gorgeous. Wide, sandy, with waves that crash like playful giants. Spent a glorious couple of hours sunbathing, reading, basically trying to become one with the earth. Then… disaster struck. I decided to be brave and go for a swim. Went waaaay out. Realized I was really struggling to get back and started to panic. Waves kept pushing me back and I felt like I was going to disappear into the ocean. Eventually, I swam with all my might and made it back, but I was shaken and exhausted. Moral of the story: I am not a mermaid.
6:00 PM: Back in my room, sipping a much-needed glass of wine. I think I'll stick to the pool from now on.
8:00 PM: Dinner. Back at the hotel restaurant. Ordered something with "local fish" in the description. It was amazing. Melt-in-your-mouth delicious. The hotel has incredible food, so I think I'll be back in the restaurant a few more times.
(Day 3: Seeking Solace in the Sea)
10:00 AM: Attempted to meditate on my balcony. Wind almost blew my notebook into the ocean. Decided I'm not cut out for zen. Maybe I should have taken better classes, or maybe everything is just falling apart.
11:00 AM: Walked along the beach - this time, on the actual beach. Avoiding the ocean after yesterday's scare. Watched the surfers and felt a pang of jealousy. They look so cool, so graceful. I look like a beached whale trying to navigate a yoga class.
1:00 PM: More Tapas in the town! This time with a view. The restaurant had a lovely balcony overlooking the sea. I got to enjoy the sunshine and the food at the same time. Ordered the pulpo (octopus). I love it, but sometimes wonder what kind of person I am.
3:00 PM: Back to the pool. The pool is a place where I can just sit. The sun shining on my face. The water is perfect, neither too hot nor too cold.
(Day 4: The Longing for Home)
9:00 AM: Breakfast, again. This time, I actually managed to get a decent cup of coffee. Small victories.
10:00 AM: Packed my bags. Not ready to go, not ready to stay. The dichotomy of travel.
12:00 PM: Checkout. I spent more time in room service and the restaurant this time, but I enjoyed myself.
(Final Thoughts)
The whole experience was a little messy, a little imperfect, but utterly unforgettable. Hotel Villa Itsaso, you were good to me. Spain, you're gorgeous. I’ll be back. Probably with more sunscreen and a better sense of direction. And maybe, just maybe, a more adventurous spirit (or at least, a willingness to embrace the inevitable minor disasters). Adios for now!
Nanning's BEST Hotel? Nanhu Park & Metro Access! (City Comfort Inn Review)
Escape to Paradise: Hotel Villa Itsaso - Your Dream Vacation Awaits! (Ugh, Hope it REALLY is...)
Okay, so, "Paradise"? Really? What’s the BIG deal about Itsaso? (Besides the name sounding like a fancy pasta dish…)
Alright, alright, settle down. "Paradise" is a bold claim, I know. I'm a cynical travel writer, remember? But, look, Villa Itsaso... It's got *potential*. Apparently. They boast about the location like it's the Holy Grail. Perched on the Basque Coast, right? Think dramatic cliffs, crashing waves, that kind of stuff. Supposedly, every room has a sea view. And the food? Oh boy, the food. They’re all about fresh seafood and regional specialties. I read something about a Michelin-starred chef...though those can be hit or miss, am I right?
My friend, bless her heart, she booked us a room. She's *obsessed* with anything remotely 'romantic getaway', and this place definitely ticks that box. I'm mostly along for the ride, and the free tapas, obviously.
How do I *actually* get to this... "Paradise"? Flights? Trains? Unicorns?
Okay, so the practicalities. Ugh, the *practicalities*. The nearest airport seems to be Bilbao. From there, you can rent a car (which I'd recommend, because taxis in remote areas are a nightmare) or take a train. The website makes it sound idyllic – windswept train journey, coastal views... blah blah blah. In reality, it probably involves delayed trains, grumpy locals and the overwhelming scent of sweaty backpacks. But, hey, the journey is part of the experience, right? *Eye roll*
My advice? Invest in decent noise-cancelling headphones, download some podcasts, and prepare to be utterly, completely, bored. You'll need it. Trust me.
Let’s talk ROOMS. What are they REALLY like? Are we talking cramped, dingy, and with a view of the garbage cans?
Alright, this is the moment of truth, isn't it? Room reviews can be tricky. The website promised "spacious suites with breathtaking ocean views." But websites lie. They ALWAYS lie. My experience has taught me that the reality is often... less glamorous.
I'm holding out hope, though. My friend saw some photos – the decor looked pretty classy, minimalist even. And the sea views... well, if they're as stunning as the website suggests, that would be something. Picture this: You, a balcony, a glass of wine, and the endless blue. Okay, that sounds *slightly* appealing. But the garbage cans? That would ruin everything. I'll report back. God, I hope it's not the garbage cans...
**Update, after two days:** Okay, so the view is... spectacular. Seriously. The ocean stretches out forever. And the room? Surprisingly, pretty good. Not garbage cans in sight!
The FOOD. Is it as amazing as the photos suggest? Because those paella pictures look DIVINE.
Ah, the food. The MOST important part of any vacation, in my book. Especially when you're paying premium prices. Those paella photos *did* look amazing, didn't they? All golden rice and glistening shellfish... my stomach growled just looking at them. And the Michelin-starred status? That's a gamble. Some Michelin meals are transcendent experiences, others are pretentious over-engineered disappointments.
So, what's the verdict? Well... the paella *was* incredible. Honestly. Seriously, the best I've ever had. The seafood was so fresh, and the saffron… oh, the saffron. But then, the next night? The lamb. Overcooked, tough, and frankly, a letdown. So the food is ... a mixed bag? Is that the most diplomatic way to put it? The breakfast buffet is decent – the pastries are worth the calories, but the coffee is weak. Very weak. You've been warned.
What is there to DO besides eat, sleep, and stare at the ocean? (Because, c'mon, that gets old eventually…)
Okay, so you got your dose of relaxation from the ocean and the food, and now you’re restless, eh? Well, the hotel itself has a spa (standard, right?), promising massages and all that pampering nonsense. I’m not a big spa person, personally. It smells like lavender and forced relaxation. But, hey, if you’re into it, go for it.
Outside the hotel, the Basque Country is packed with stuff to do. Hiking along the coast is supposed to be stunning. You can visit charming fishing villages, try surfing (if you’re brave/stupid), and explore the local culture. I actually went to a local market one morning. The sheer variety of the fresh produce was dazzling. And I managed to haggle for some chorizo, which was a victory in my book. Just be prepared to drive a bit, the villages are not next door to each other.
Is it family-friendly? Because, if I see screaming kids in the pool, I'm leaving. Immediately.
Alright, crucial question. I HATE screaming kids. I truly, deeply, detest them. The website *hints* at being family-friendly, but doesn’t scream it. Thank God.
From what I can tell, it’s more of a couples retreat kind of place. I've seen a few families, sure, but not swarms. The pool is relatively peaceful. So, you're probably safe. But if you *do* see a rogue toddler, please, for the love of all that is holy, order a very strong cocktail. You’ll need it.
Okay, so, the big question: Would you actually recommend it? (Be honest!)
Okay, the honest truth? It’s complicated.
It's expensive, there's no getting around that. The food isn't consistently perfect. And you *will* encounter some minor inconveniences (lost luggage, slightly undercooked fish...the usual). BUT... that view. The location. The *potential* for genuine relaxation. It's there. The staff are mostly helpful (even if their English isn't always the best). And that paella… seriously, I'm still dreaming about it.
If you're willing to splurge, if you're craving dramatic scenery and good (sometimes *amazing*) food, and if you're flexible enough to handle a few imperfections, then yeah, I would. But, prepare yourself. This might not be a perfect paradise. It's a *nearly* paradise. And sometimes, that's enough.
Go in with realistic expectations, and maybe a bottle of wine… just in case.

